[JdeRobot] Inquiry about GSoC 2023

JoseMaria Cañas Plaza josemaria.plaza at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 17:27:30 CET 2023

Hi Ziad,

nice to meet you.

Just follow the application instructions we have published [1]. Basically,
perform the programming tests and after that contact with the potential
mentors of projects #2 and #5 you are interested in for further details.
Regarding the Academy programming test, feel free to share videos in the
RoboticsAcademy Discussions [1] and in Twitter, mentioning @JdeRobot, of
your solutions to the some exercises in operation. In particular Digit
Classifier and Human Detector exercises are related to project #5.

The best way to start contributing to JdeRobot is to get familiar with our
software products. In particular, RoboticsAcademy is the most active one
and a priority project. Just USE RoboticsAcademy (solve and provide
feedback) about the exercises already available in current release [2]
(FollowLine, ObstacleAvoidance, VacuumCleaner, LocalizedVacuumCleaner...).
They use the browser as the only GUI (for source code editing and for
exercise monitoring), and a docker image for running the Gazebo simulator
(it is named RADI= RoboticsAcademy Docker Image). The docker image already
includes a Django webserver for providing the exercise webpages. Please use
the GitHub Discussions [4] for technical questions (you will receive
support there) and report any detected bug creating an issue for each one
in the RoboticsAcademy repository [3].

Cheers,

JoseMaria
[1]
https://jderobot.github.io/activities/gsoc/2023#application-instructions-for-gsoc-2023
[2] https://jderobot.github.io/RoboticsAcademy/exercises/
[3] https://github.com/JdeRobot/RoboticsAcademy
[4] https://github.com/JdeRobot/RoboticsAcademy/discussions

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 4:42 PM ziad yousef <ziadyousef623 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is ziad. I am a student in the department fo computer engineering,
> Cairo university. I would like to ask for more info about how to get
> started. I would also be grateful if you could provide me with more info
> about Project #2: Robotics Academy: migration to ROS2 Humble and Project
> #5: Robotics-Academy: new exercise using Deep Learning for Visual Control.
>
> Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ziad

Universidad Rey Juan Carlos
http://gsyc.urjc.es/jmplaza