[Jderobot] [JdeRobot] Ice 3.5 compatibility with JdeRobot

Francisco Pérez f.perez475 en gmail.com
Vie Mar 20 12:12:06 CET 2015

Hello,

I've been testing the new version of Ice (v3.5) with JdeRobot and I had no
problems compiling and generating the interfaces of the last JdeRobot
release. I've been reading the [1]official documentation of ZeroC, and they
say: "Ice maintains source-code compatibility between a patch release (e.g.,
3.4.2) and the most recent minor release (e.g., 3.4.0), but does not
guarantee source-code compatibility between minor releases (e.g., between
3.4 and 3.5)." However I had no problems at all compiling the JdeRobot
project, so I think that Ice 3.5 is actually compatible with our last
release. I know that one of our teammates had problem with this version of
Ice, but I don't know what kind of problems, so it will be great if he share
them here :)
Looking at one of the interfaces generated (camera.cpp) we can see the
following lines:

// **********************************************************************
//
// Copyright (c) 2003-2013 ZeroC, Inc. All rights reserved.
//
// This copy of Ice is licensed to you under the terms described in the
// ICE_LICENSE file included in this distribution.
//
// **********************************************************************
//
*// Ice version 3.5.1*
//
// <auto-generated>
//
// Generated from file `camera.ice'
//
// Warning: do not edit this file.
//
// </auto-generated>
//

and after testing cameraserver+cameraview and cameraserver+basic_component
everything works fine. I've been doing all the test in a fresh installation
of Ubuntu 14.04.2 x86 in a virtual machine (VMWare). I'm gonna keep doing
test in Ubuntu 14.04.2 x64 too.

Someone had problems with this Ice version? Let me know please!

Best regards!

[1]
https://doc.zeroc.com/display/Ice/Upgrading+your+Application+from+Ice+3.4