[JdeRobot] GSOC Application

Shabbir Marzban smarzban13 at ku.edu.tr
Mon Mar 23 21:53:25 CET 2015

My name is Shabbir Marzban and I am currently a second year graduate
student at KOC University, Istanbul, Turkey.(Resume:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgy28pcebdz2ol4/resume-test.pdf?dl=0). I find
JdeRobot quite useful and plan to use it in my research work. GSOC is an
excellent opportunity to get started for it so it would be great if you can
consider my application.

I have 4+ years of experience with Matlab and C++ (OpenCV, PCL).  I have
been playing with Kinect2 for quite sometime now, I was one of first 500
people who got selected for alpha testing of the device by Microsoft.
Currently I am developing a perception module using Kinectv2 to detect
social communicative events such as 'laughter' or 'sigh'. This is part of
'Joker' Project which aims to create a socially aware robot that can crack
jokes with the user. This project is in collaboration with couple of
European universities (http://www.chistera.eu/projects/joker)

I am particularly interested in Kinectv2 related proposed ideas (7,8,9). I
have been able to show point cloud in real-time using opencv_viz (
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rt3mbxww8iivqm0/AAAhV7WlEfQO0uQWMPhbXtZOa?dl=0).
have
also played with bunch of variations of ICP algorithm. It would love
discuss and develop what can be done next when it comes to structure
recovery or object recognition using Kinectv2. I have completed the
challenges and submitted the form on JdeRobot website. I was wondering what
are the next steps.

Kind Rregards,
Shabbir Marzban