[JdeRobot] Suggestion for setting up Gitter or an IRC channel

Lihang Li licalmer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 06:08:58 CEST 2015

Hi Oscar,

Your points make sense, well, from a student's perspective,  they do have
more time for contributing rather then people who get jobs to do.

Maybe it's not quite the right time to maintain both the mailing lists and
IRC(or Gitter, etc), however, just like you said, we can find other
possibilities which could be a good compromise. I'm thinking about maybe
for better discussion regarding one specified topic, an IRC or Gitter
meeting could be more help. Like we can first post an meeting invitation,
schedule the time for the discussion. I saw some projects work this way and
worth trying. After a meeting or single private discussion, a note can be
posted to the mailing lists, first for summarizing and tracking, second for
further discussions and improvements.

It depends after all, if mailing lists are just working great currently,
let's keep going this way. Let's try something different if we got new
situations to handle.

Regards,
Lihang

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Oscar Garcia <
oscar.robotica at linaresdigital.com> wrote:

> El 27/03/15 a las 11:59, Lihang Li escribió:
> > Lots of open source projects have an IRC channel for IM(Instant
> > Message), mostly on Freenode[1], here people can hold meetings or
> > discussing problems to resolve it in a more efficient way. I'v been
> > using IRC for days. However, I find Gitter[2] might be a better
> > choice, it integrates with Github perfectly, also it supports Web,
> > MacOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, Android, etc.
>

> Hi Lihang.
>
> Some of us are only students so they have enough free time, but some of
> us are working (half or full time), and/or are married, have children,
> ect... so our free time is very limited.
>
> I think that is better to focus support on mail list and fallback to IRC
> when two people can meet in a same time window.
>
> This way all problems could be resolved in a slow fashion if someone
> that have experience in that thread but can't connect to IM or in a
> quick way if there is someone with experience just in that moment and,
> the most important detail, all problems pass through THE SAME UNIQUE
> SUPPORT POINT and later every one could use the best communication
> channel for them.
>
> Later, when the issue was solved, it could be a good idea to post the
> solution in mail list. Someone with same problem will might find useful
> that solution.
>

> > I believe Gitter and IRC could boost our development and bring better
> > communication, especially for instant discussion and problem solving.
> > Any ideas?
>

> My position:
> - Maintain a single entry point to support.
> - Think about other possibilities for online (IM) support. In this case
> return to list every hit or fail to keep it updated with progress.
>
> Regards,

Lihang Li
National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition (NLPR)
Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences (IACAS)
95 Zhongguancun East Road
Beijing 100190, CHINA
Tel: +86-13811582143
Website: http://hustcalm.me