[JdeRobot] Suggestion for setting up Gitter or an IRC channel

Oscar Garcia oscar.robotica at linaresdigital.com
Fri Mar 27 13:22:47 CET 2015

El 27/03/15 a las 11:59, Lihang Li escribió:
> Lots of open source projects have an IRC channel for IM(Instant
> Message), mostly on Freenode[1], here people can hold meetings or
> discussing problems to resolve it in a more efficient way. I'v been
> using IRC for days. However, I find Gitter[2] might be a better
> choice, it integrates with Github perfectly, also it supports Web,
> MacOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, Android, etc.

Hi Lihang.

Some of us are only students so they have enough free time, but some of
us are working (half or full time), and/or are married, have children,
ect... so our free time is very limited.

I think that is better to focus support on mail list and fallback to IRC
when two people can meet in a same time window.

This way all problems could be resolved in a slow fashion if someone
that have experience in that thread but can't connect to IM or in a
quick way if there is someone with experience just in that moment and,
the most important detail, all problems pass through THE SAME UNIQUE
SUPPORT POINT and later every one could use the best communication
channel for them.

Later, when the issue was solved, it could be a good idea to post the
solution in mail list. Someone with same problem will might find useful
that solution.

> I believe Gitter and IRC could boost our development and bring better
> communication, especially for instant discussion and problem solving.
> Any ideas?

My position:
- Maintain a single entry point to support.
- Think about other possibilities for online (IM) support. In this case
return to list every hit or fail to keep it updated with progress.

Regards,