[JdeRobot] Run Gazebo simulator faster

JoseMaria CaƱas Plaza jmplaza at gsyc.es
Wed Jul 26 12:30:09 CEST 2017

Hi Sepehr,

one simple way to speed it up a little bit is running without any GUI
at all. That could be done launching 'gzserver' instead of 'gazebo',
with the same world file. [1] and [2] point to similar actions to
those you already tested. They get 20x and speed factors. So maybe
expecting 100x factors is unrealistic.

Another possibility is to use one of our servers (a fast machine) to
launch there your gazebo instances...

To launch several Gazebo instances on the same machine you should
configure in a different way the plugins on each Gazebo instance, so
they provide their data on a different IP:port pair from the other
instances. Those new IP:port pairs should be added in the application.
Maybe a little bit tricky....

Hope it helps,

JoseMaria
[1] http://answers.gazebosim.org/question/6970/can-i-run-gazebo-faster-than-real-time/
[2] http://answers.gazebosim.org/question/12477/speeding-up-gazebo-physics-simulation-considering-ros-plugin-usage/
[3] http://answers.ros.org/question/151691/gazebo-simulation-time-speed-up/

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 9:20 PM, S.Mehdi Mohaimanian pour
<voidminded en gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was wondering how I can speed up the Gazebo simulator, I have tried the
> following methods:
>
>    -  I have set the "Real time update rate" to '0' so that it can run as
> fast as possible, but it speeds up the kobuki-simple world at most 10-12
> times.
>    - Reducing the "Max step size" makes the environment and Robot unstable,
> also it's just like increasing the robot's speed which is not helping.
>
> Is there any way to make the Gazebo run faster (100-200 faster than realtime
> in kobuki-simple world file per se) ? Can the Gazebo run headless so that it
> does not need to process the GUI stuff ? Is it possible to run several
> instances of a same world in Gazebo on a single machine using JdeRobot ICE
> interface (I know how to do it using ROS) ?
>
> And also what is the fastest physics engine in Gazebo (Using ODE right now)?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Sepehr
> --
> S.Mehdi Mohaimanian Pour (Sepehr)