[JdeRobot] Fwd: Guidance Regarding GSoC Project.

Eduardo Perdices edupergar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 12:34:24 CET 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Muhammad Taha <mtsg09 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 17, 2020, 09:54
Subject: Guidance Regarding GSoC Project.
To: <n.arranz.agueda at gmail.com>, <edupergar at gmail.com>

Hi, I hope this email finds you well.
I am currently writing my proposal for* Project #1: Robotics Academy: New
Computer Vision Exercises. *I just need some guidance on how I should
proceed and just a rough idea about what to include in my proposal. I also
need to know whether the purpose of this project is to impart a better
understanding of computer vision techniques or to solve robotics challenges
using computer vision.

I just need to know which techniques I should proceed with. Here's some of
the information I gathered:

*Computer Vision Techniques:*
Simple, Adaptive, Gaussian and Otsu's thresholding.
Canny Edge Detection.
Blur, Gaussian blur, Laplacian, Laplacian of Gaussian, Sobel and line
detection with image convolutions.
Size filtering, connected components and contours.
Hough transform and Hough transform for circles.
Morphological transformations (Erosion, dilation, skeletonization, flood
fill).
Image Subtraction.
Image Averaging.
Image Segmentation.
Image Pyramids.
Foreground Extraction using Active Contours, Harris Corners and Grab-cut
algorithm.
Training custom object detectors using Histogram of Oriented Gradients and
Support Vector Machines.

*Computer Vision Exercises:*
*Anti-Aircraft Gun:* Using image subtraction, contours and optical flow.
*Object/Vehicle Speed Estimation:* Using centroid tracking and template
matching.
*Follow Object:* Using Real-time Object detection and localization using
ORB and maybe SIFT (as the patent of SIFT expires in 2020).
*Disoriented Package Alignment and Skew Correction:* Using affine
transformations and template matching.

I have completed the programming and academy challenges and I'll attach a
copy of the Google form that I filled for evidence.

Best Regards,
Taha.