[JdeRobot] Cameraserver

Oscar Garcia oscar.robotica at linaresdigital.com
Wed Mar 25 08:58:50 CET 2015

El 25/03/15 a las 03:26, Lihang Li escribió:
> So probably you should figure out, which camera model are you using?
> Like UVC, IEEE-1394 or DV? Thus you can try if it can fetch images
> using normal applications like `UVC Viewer`.

As you can see in his posts is a UVC webcam:

El 23/03/15 a las 22:42, shahsahil escribió:
> The output for sudo lsusb -v
>
>    screen.log
> http://jderobot-developer-list.2315034.n4.nabble.com/file/n4642547/screen.log
>
> The output for lsmod
>
> screen1.log
> http://jderobot-developer-list.2315034.n4.nabble.com/file/n4642547/screen1.log

It's a good idea trying uvc viewer, but it's possible that the problem
is virtualization layer. The only way to prove this problem is (we known
that other applications shows a blank screen too) trying with a native
ubuntu install.

>  Make sure you got a device in /dev/ and it is working. Then pay
> attention to the config file you pass to CameraServer, select the
> right device according to your camera model.

If there is not a camera on 0 (/dev/video0) or another index
cameraserver will throw this error:

redstar en oczstar:~/Documentos/jderobot/temp/JdeRobot/src/stable/components/cameraserver$
./cameraserver --Ice.Config=cameraserver.cfg
Constructor CameraI -> CameraSrv.Camera.0.
URI: 0
HIGHGUI ERROR: V4L: index 0 is not correct!

Sahil Shah didn't answer me about the dots... I don't know if the server
was printing the dots with the debug code that I suggested him. That is
a important point to know what would be the problem.

I think that is very possible that the key are these lines:
select timeout
select timeout
select timeout
select timeout

I think that the device is not serving frames as expected. My first
thought was (in my second post[1]) about interference with audio layer,
because it could be a composed USB device (video + audio).

If it is the problem it could be solved disabling USB audio and/or avoid
bandwith (because virtualization) related problems [2]:

echo -e "blacklist snd_usb_audio\n uvcvideo timeout=10000 quirks=0x80
nodrop=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/jderobot_workarround.conf

This will disable audio and let the camera 10 seconds to initialize
(virtualized devices could take more time to start) and solve bandwitd
issues (UVC_QUIRK_FIX_BANDWIDTH quirk). You will need to restart or type
this:

rmmod snd_usb_audio
rmmod uvcvideo
modprobe uvcvideo timeout=10000 quirks=0x80 nodrop=1

Please Sahil, try this and tell me about it.

Best regards.

[1]:
http://gsyc.escet.urjc.es/pipermail/jde-developers/2015-March/003683.html
[2]: http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/faq/#faq7