[JdeRobot] introduction and idea sharing

JoseMaria Cañas Plaza jmplaza at gsyc.es
Sat Feb 29 07:58:26 CET 2020

Hi Vivek,

thanks for your interest in JdeRobot organization. We are refining the
programming tests for this year, stay tuned. The selection procedure for
GSoC-2020 follows these steps: (1) perform the tests, (2) contact the
mentors of the project you are interested in, they will help you to improve
your proposal, (3) submit your proposal at GSoC webpage. You may also use
and get familiar with JdeRobot software (for instance, Academy [1]), and
start contributing in any project, despite we value long term contributions
more than short term ones.

In the selection process we take into account (a) the submitted programming
tests, (b) the quality of student proposal, (c) the candidate Curriculum
Vitae and (d) the final number of slots granted by GSoC. Unfortunately
there are always less slots than candidates, the competition is
international and hard, but you always have a chance!.

Cheers,

JoseMaria
[1] https://jderobot.github.io/RoboticsAcademy/

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 7:11 AM Vivek Choudhary <choudhary.vivek98 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm Vivek, fourth(final) year computer science student from "The Northcap
> University".
> I'm excited that JdeRobot has once again taken part in Gsoc.
>
> I'm pleased to share my idea in context to *Project#4: Exercises on
> Evolutionary Robotics.*
>
> This project is quite similar to my proposal last year for this org but
> wasn't selected, I'm glad that a project is already listed this year
> similar to my interest.
>
> Here is an excerpt from my last year's proposal, I would be glad to hear
> from you regarding this:
>
> *Objective*: The idea is to create an environment(multiplayer) where the
> drones can compete for a common goal which is to capture the
> towers(sprites) in the simulation and multiply the mini drone army from
> each tower and try to destroy the adversary drones, players can apply
> various algorithms like reinforced learning, genetic algorithm, etc. The
> idea is derived from the online AI competition namely Halite [1].
>
> Rules: the rules are as follows-
>
> Each player enters the arena with one drone, and they generate an initial
> population of mini-drones.
>
>    1. Mini drones try to capture towers (empty or already captured).
>    2. If opposite mini-drones collide they die immediately.
>    3. The mini-drones can sacrifice themselves in order to destroy
>    adversary drones.
>    4. Drones’ max, min speeds, behavior, can be customized through the
>    configuration file.
>
> Infrastructure: The following could be the infrastructure of the game.
>
>    - Main ship (Mother drone).
>    - Mini (children) drones.
>    - Gazebo simulated env.
>    - A local game server (ROS implemented)